HomePortalRegisterLog in
Share | 

This is probably a silly question and probably in the wrong place..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blaiddwolf Mynyddbrae

PostSubject: Re: This is probably a silly question and probably in the wrong place..   Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:44 pm

Mythicflux...YES!

That's exactly how I see the solstices and equinoxes - and the midpoint of the seasons. It just doesn't make sense for them to be the change-over, no matter what the "official" line is. How can spring be starting in May when the flowers have been out for months? How can Litha be the beginning of summer, when it's marked on the calendars as be Midsummer! I can see by looking outside my window that the official seasons are completely out of whack with what's actually happening.

My personal calendar has three months for each season, tying in with the solstices and equinoxes, but the first month of each season is a sort of transition month. So February is the beginning of spring, but it's the transition month, so isn't automatically spring like. August is the transition month into autumn etc.

Much love

Blaidd

Solitary Hedgewitch and Seer of the Old Ways[/center]
Back to top Go down
chezzielou

PostSubject: Re: This is probably a silly question and probably in the wrong place..   Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:24 am

mythicflux im also solitary and iv been pretty much going along with it. Iv taken the main ideas but tweaked them to suit my lifestyle

Chezzielou

xx
Back to top Go down
mythicflux

PostSubject: Re: This is probably a silly question and probably in the wrong place..   Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:44 pm

I know this has already been answered but I thought I'd chuck my opinion into the cauldron too...
The reason I first got interested in wicca was because in an astronomy class they taught us about the mathmatical divisions of the year, the seasons, the progression of the sun, and I remember being absolutely floored by a diagram of the sun's ecliptic around the celestial sphere and the places of the equinoxes and solstices.

It was that mathmatical poetry that got me interested in the first place, and so for me the "lesser" sabbats are actually more important. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they also mark the "height" of the seasons, as opposed to the changeovers between seasons which the "Greater" sabbats celebrate?

For my first year practising, I decided to only celebrate Yuletide, Ostara, Litha and Mabon, since for me they're the most important, and also because I'm a solitary practitioner and I'm essentially creating all my own rituals and routines, which is a lot of work from scratch. When I've managed to get all my stuff down for those sabbats, then I'll expand and start celebrating the others I think.
Back to top Go down
chezzielou

PostSubject: Re: This is probably a silly question and probably in the wrong place..   Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:38 pm

Thank you so much! This has helped so much :)
Your all so nice on here :D:D:D

Chezzielou

xx
Back to top Go down
Pangur-ban

PostSubject: Re: This is probably a silly question and probably in the wrong place..   Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:16 am

And why stop at eight I am sure our ancestors didn't, the more the merrier lol

Pan
X
Back to top Go down
Blaiddwolf Mynyddbrae

PostSubject: Re: This is probably a silly question and probably in the wrong place..   Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:37 am

So basically, pick four of the eight which are your most favourite, or just celebrate all eight with equal vigour ;-)

Back to top Go down
Pangur-ban

PostSubject: Re: This is probably a silly question and probably in the wrong place..   Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:44 am

Of course then you have the Druids with some of them reversing the importance of the Sabbats with the solar festivals being of more importance than the fire festivals, so the solstices and equinoxes have more import than the other festivals. Most Druids will celebrate all eight though.

Pan
x
Back to top Go down
Tansy Firedragon
Elder & High Priestess

PostSubject: Re: This is probably a silly question and probably in the wrong place..   Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi Chezzielou

Not a silly question at all! You ask as many questions as you like.

There are 4 Greater Sabbats: Imbolc, Beltane, Lughnasadh, and Samhain.

The 4 Lesser Sabbats are: Mabon, Midsummer, Ostara and Yule. The lesser sabbats fall on the solstices and equinoxes.

Personally I celebrate them all (any excuse for a party LOL) - some traditions will celebrate them all others won't, I think it depends on the tradition and on personal ideas. Most witches and druids I have met seem to celebrate them all.

Tansy
x

Back to top Go down
http://www.rachelpatterson.co.uk
Blaiddwolf Mynyddbrae

PostSubject: Re: This is probably a silly question and probably in the wrong place..   Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Hello chezzielou,

There are eight main celebrations in the year, also known as Sabbats.

These consist of the four celtic festivals, which are thought to be based on the agricultural year: Imbolc, Beltane, Lughnasadh and Samhain. The other four are based on the solar year, the two solstices and the two equinoxes; Ostara, Litha, Mabon and Yule. So it works that there is a celebration roughly every 6-7 weeks - a great excuse to party!

Samhain and Yule will be the most familiar, as they are also celebrated as Halloween and Christmas. Ostara can be recognised as Easter, as they share a lot of the same symbology. Imbolc and Lughnasadh can also be called Candlemas and Lammas respectively, and Litha as Midsummer. Beltane is May Day and Mabon, I think, corresponds to the Harvest Festival on the Christian calendar.

Some people celebrate all eight, and some feel more drawn to aa few of the festivals rather than all of them. I would guess that the Big Four you refer to will be Samhain, Yule, Beltane and Ostara - but that's basically because most of the population will also be celebrating their own corresponding festivals.

I think that everyone gets their own favourite Sabbat. My personal favourite is Imbolc (I actually like January!) because I can feel the coming of spring, the days are getting longer and everything feels so positive and hopeful, full of potential.

Has that helped any? But ask anything you like - that's what we're here for.

Love and hugs

Blaidd

Back to top Go down
chezzielou

PostSubject: This is probably a silly question and probably in the wrong place..   Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:11 pm

I was reading through the wheel of the year section and it kept coming up that there were 4 main days celebrated. Im not sure which ones they are, i know samhain is one and im guessing yule is too but can someone please help me out?

Also does everyone celebrate them all or is it specific ones or is it ones that stick out most to you?

Sorry if this is already explained somewhere on here
xxx

Chezzielou

xx
Back to top Go down

This is probably a silly question and probably in the wrong place..
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: KITCHEN WITCH SCHOOL :: Questions and Answers-
Jump to: