HomePortalRegisterLog in
Share | 

Dark Moon/New Moon?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Witch of Navron

PostSubject: Re: Dark Moon/New Moon?    Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi, this is a very interesting topic as people have such different thoughts and perspectives. I find the two phases to be totally different. New Moon begins with the slither of a crescent and brings with it a sparkling, fresh energy that grows as the moon waxes. The few days before New Moon, when there is barely a moon visible, if at all, is the Dark Moon phase. This is to me very powerful, in that her face is hidden but her magic is still there, very full and very knowledgeable. It is something I am still exploring and find fascinating, much more so than Full Moon actually, which again is something entirely different.
Back to top Go down
Blaiddwolf Mynyddbrae

PostSubject: Re: Dark Moon/New Moon?    Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:50 am

Exactly!!!!

It doesn't matter what the whole world says, if something else works better for us personally - then that is the right answer for us individually.

I'm like that with the dark half and light half of the year, I forget which one we are supposed to be entering and exiting at the solstices because it totally doesn't work for me. MY dark half and light halves of the year switch at the equinoxes, because one side of the equinox there is more daylight, the other side more night...

Much love

Blaidd

Solitary Hedgewitch and Seer of the Old Ways[/center]
Back to top Go down
Sunchylde Dryadmoon
Elder & High Priestess

PostSubject: Re: Dark Moon/New Moon?    Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:43 am

That's really interesting Thunder :) And does make complete sense. I do love the number four as it has always been lucky for me. Maybe this is something I should investigate further.

My thoughts have started to change a lot recently as regards to the Dark Moon. I am starting to feel like the New Moon dates that we all have in our diaries and almanacs are actually the Dark Moon as this is the time when the moon isn't visible at all. I actually feel more introspective at this time and maybe a few days before also, so I think this is right for me. The New Moon doesn't begin until the very first sliver of the moon can be seen and that's when I start to feel more active.

The thing I love about being a witch is there are no hard and fast rules. We find out what feels right for us individually and that is our truth.

Much Love
Sun xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dark Moon/New Moon?    Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:47 am

I totally agree it's so much nicer to have the term matriarch and all that it implies, ( strength, leadership, wisdom ect) rather than just slipping straight from mother to crone :)
Back to top Go down
Blaiddwolf Mynyddbrae

PostSubject: Re: Dark Moon/New Moon?    Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:51 am

Oh that makes so much sense too! The thing that has always bothered me is the leap from Mother to Crone - that as soon as you've passed the best years of your breeding life, that you go straight to old age and croneness. It suggests feebleness - but of body, not mind or spirit.

But the Matriarch stage - that's what ahs been missing! Still strong in body and mind, and still gaining strength in spirit, whilst the picture moves from mother of offspring, to mother of community, and the Bigger Picture that it entails.

Much love

Blaidd

Back to top Go down
Whirling Thunder

PostSubject: Subject: Re: Dark Moon/New Moon?   Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:36 am

I kind of work the moon a bit different I suppose. For me there are 4 phases as I work with the number 4 as I relate to the Medicine wheel and we have 4 phases in most of what we and the Earth Mother does. So my phases are:

Maiden, Mother, Matriarch, Crone

In my physical life I've reached my Matriarchal stage which begins at around 55 I'm not a Crone until I'm around 75

So to me the New Moon is when the moon reappears in the night sky, the Maiden peeps around in her new world and decides if she will stay or no, the memories of the Crone's wisdom linger in her memory. She reaches her maturity at the first crescent and looks towards the role of the Mother. She steps into the role 3.5 days before the Full Moon. At the Full Moon the Mother reaches her maturity and full power and starts to access her potential and worth. As the full moon begins to wane the Mother starts to look at her role more as a Tribal Mother and at the 4th crescent she steps into her Matriarchal Power and begins to consolidate her wisdom through sharing and teaching. Three days before the Dark Moon, the Matriarch turns inward to become the Crone and "BE" her wisdom and start to close her life by sharing her memories. At the Dark Moon when there is no moon the Crone goes to the Underworld to complete her cycle of death, birth, death, and decides if she will rebirth and return. Time stops, the Earth Mother is still waiting for the Grandmother to reappear all Earth Creatures wait in the silence and sit with themselves in their inner worlds.

So my life kinda follows that pattern with projects, intent, thoughts, spell work, life lessons etc.

Thunder

Whirling Thunder

Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished....If you're alive, it isn't. ~Richard Bach
Back to top Go down
Tansy Firedragon
Elder & High Priestess

PostSubject: Re: Dark Moon/New Moon?    Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Sorry honey I missed this one too!!

As I understand it, the official stuff is:

NEW MOON
We consider it to be the new moon up to 3 1/2 days after the official new moon. She rises around dawn, sets around sunset. Because she is between the sun and the earth nothing or very little is reflected and for a few days the moon is lost in the brilliance of the sun.

WAXING CRESCENT MOON
The waxing crescent moon occurs 3 1/2 to 7 days after the new moon. She rises in the mid morning and sets in the evening. The moons light is quickening. As the moon has dropped back until she is about 1/8 th of the way behind the sun and we see her lumination as a crescent shape.

FIRST QUARTER MOON (WAXING)
You will see the first quarter moon from 7 to 10 1/2 days after the new moon. She will rise around noon and set around midnight. Because light and dark are in balance the moon will appear to be a half moon but the area of light will continue to grow each day.

WAXING GIBBOUS MOON
The waxing gibbous moon occurs between 10 1/2 and 14 days after the new moon. She rises sometime in the mid afternoon and sets in the early dark hours of the morning. As the moon has fallen back around 3/8 of the way behind the sun one side of the moon is seen fully, the light on the other side bulges out but does not yet fill all of the moon's face.

FULL MOON
About 15 days after the after the new moon the full moon first appears. At this point the moon is on the opposite side of the earth from the sun so she rises around sunset and sets around dawn.

WANING GIBBOUS MOON (DISSEMINATING)
The waning gibbous or disseminating moon appears 3 1/2 days to 7 days after the full moon. The moon will rise during the evening and set sometime mid morning. Again we see the bulge on one side of the moon but it is now decreasing each day. Darkness is slowly moving in. Waning is underway.

LAST QUARTER MOON (WANING)
The waning last quarter moon appears between 7 and 10 1/2 days after the full moon. She rises near midnight and sets near noon. There is once again a balance between light and dark but the dark will soon overcome the light.

WANING CRESCENT MOON (BALSAMIC)
The Waning crescent or balsamic moon occurs between 10 1/2 days after the full moon up until the new moon. The moon rises in the dark hours of the morning and sets in the afternoon.

I use the waxing of the Moon for bringing things to me and the waning for banishing and ridding of things.

The full moon is powerful for all sorts of magic.

The dark moon/new moon is a bit trickier! I agree with Blaidd, I see the Dark Moon time as being the few days before the new moon when it is on the wane.

The New Moon is definitely about new beginnings and starting new projects etc.

The Dark Moon I do tend to see as a time for introspection, re-grouping and assessing.

Tansy
xx

Back to top Go down
http://www.rachelpatterson.co.uk
Blaiddwolf Mynyddbrae

PostSubject: Re: Dark Moon/New Moon?    Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Oops - missed this the first time around!

I equate the Dark Moon with the few days before the New Moon, the last few days of the waning moon, with the dark moon period actually ending with the new moon, and the new moon period beginning when the moon starts to was again.

I think I need a to make a distinction between the ending of one cycle, and the beginning of the next, because for the Full Moon period for me covers the days before AND after the actual full moon. But the full moon is mid cycle...

Much love

Blaidd

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dark Moon/New Moon?    Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:06 pm

I shall be perfectly honest and say that I don't know much about the dark moon, but I have also always thought of the new moon as a time for new beginings.
I'm sure someone else can go into this subject a lot more in depth than I :) xx
Back to top Go down
Sunchylde Dryadmoon
Elder & High Priestess

PostSubject: Re: Dark Moon/New Moon?    Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on this at all?
Back to top Go down
Sunchylde Dryadmoon
Elder & High Priestess

PostSubject: Dark Moon/New Moon?    Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Hey Everyone

I thought I would start a bit of a discussion today and get your thoughts on the subject of Dark Moon and New Moon and whether you think they are one and the same thing.

I've recently been reading about Dark Moon work and from what I have read this time is described as the same as the New Moon. This time is described as a time for introspection rather than a time for magick, but I have always treated the New Moon as a time for new beginnings etc.

So I wondered what your thoughts were on this subject. Do you think the New and Dark Moon are the same? How do you attune to this time?

I'm looking forward to reading everyones thoughts.

Bright Blessings
Sunchylde
Back to top Go down

Dark Moon/New Moon?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: KITCHEN WITCH SCHOOL :: Questions and Answers-
Jump to: